Saving money is always a good thing (“money saved is money earned!”). You have to invest, of course, when you market a small business, but there are unpaid ways to go about it to maximize its effect. Anyway you can get out your message falls into the category of small business marketing advice and that means learning how to market your business for free. Today we are covering 7 strategies that you might find useful if you want to promote your business without spending a dime:
- Website options: businesses of all sizes need branding and an image. This comes from a well-conceived website. You can provide information, reasons to buy, and easy ways to place an order. In effect, your “store” is open 24/7. But not just any website will do. Web pages must be easy to read the total site very navigable. They must include relevant testimonials and links. It is all about hassle-free shopping online. When in doubt, consult the pros for ideas and strategies. A great landing page is worth its weight in gold. This is the beginning of a free advertising campaign.
- Blogging benefits: establishing connections with bloggers can really boost traffic. If you share the same audience, then this person is a candidate. You can write guest posts or even advertise—often at no cost to you. People are always on the lookout for new and interesting content. Give it to them in spades! They will thank you for linking to your website and helping foster your branding.
- Be newsworthy: if your product or service dovetails with the news, you can sneak in some free promotions this way. Headline news is your best bet, but use any means possible to get out the word—for free. Send out press releases so the media will take note of your existence. Tie in what you do with what is happening currently in the news and/or trends. It is all about spreading your content in any and all directions possible.
- Reviews are valuable: there is nothing like a good review or testimonial when marketing a small business online. Satisfied customers are pure gold in print. There is nothing wrong with asking for these whenever possible. Most people will be kind. Consult Yelp for ways to get write-ups effectively.
- Barter when you can: a contra arrangement should be among the top tips for small business marketers. Exchanging posts, blogs, and the like can be effective, while it is also free. No money need change hands. What can be better! Web sites that share an audience are good candidates. You can take turns with special promotions and exchange all kinds of content and messaging. A banner or advert is within the realm of possibilities.
- Don’t forget to network: among the best freebies is networking. Make a list of relevant organizations or individuals who share your business field. Everyone is into this no-cost way of marketing these days, so take advantage to spread the word. You might partner on an event, on or offline, or provide speakers and bloggers. There are endless freeways to a network.
- Public relations possibilities: PR by its very nature is gratis and part of the basic how-to of advertising your business for free. Sending out press releases announcing news about your product or service will likely get you mentioned for no cost. This is the difference between public relations and advertising. People find PR to be very credible so don’t overlook this vast realm, which includes blogging. You can do it in place of or alongside any ad campaign underway. Contacting the press for PR is called pitching and it is highly effective. Writers are always looking for good, credible content.